GPS came and revolutionized the world with its jaw-dropping features. It made you navigate the world on your fingertips. However, it lagged behind on one aspect, that is locating indoors. You would be more or less aware of the fact that GPS doesn’t work indoors, especially through concrete walls. Well, this small negative has resulted in the invention of a big positive thing- Indoor navigation. A new player in the navigation arena, this system has features that would function as an add-on to the already existing GPS technology.
Indoor Navigation works over easily available technologies such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Some systems may also work on infrared technology, but that is a rarity. The systems don’t only locate through rooms and walls, but also through different floors, which is still unachievable by GPS. You can actually navigate through different floors and determine the exact location of the place where you have to go. Let’s see its implementation over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth:
1. With Wi-Fi, the advantage is that the already existing routers can be used for the implementation of indoor positioning. The routers send Wi-Fi signals over short distances and trace objects, rooms, and other locations. These signals are accurate in the range of 5-15 meters. All the routers are connected to each other and provide all the information straight to an app in our smartphone.
2. Implementation of indoor navigation through Bluetooth beacons is a good option too, as beacons are more accurate and easily accessible. The beacons need to be installed at all the places in the campus. They provide an amazing tracking accuracy of up to 1 meter! With less power consumption and battery-operated beacons, Bluetooth-oriented navigation is a smart choice.
The navigation companies provide specialized apps through which all the information of navigation is accessible. Just like GPS, you can navigate with the help of maps on your smartphone. The proximity sensors, gyroscope, etc. inbuilt in your smartphone adds up to the accuracy and efficiency.
There are numerous cases in which the modern indoor navigation systems can be helpful:
1. Visiting a certain store in a mall can be a difficult job sometimes, as you have to pierce through a web of various shops. You have to depend upon signboards and a few people to reach your desired place. Indoor navigation makes this job amazingly easy. Just locate through the map and reach your desired shop.
2. In big workshops and equipment houses, it is obvious to get confused among the big machines. If you have the precise location of all the equipment and machines, the job becomes easier.
3. While visiting some government offices or business complexes, it becomes difficult to find a certain chamber which you need to visit. Indoor navigation makes it much easier for you to visit the location you want.
4. In huge parking lots, if there is an indoor navigation system enabled, you no more have to trouble yourself for parking or finding your car.
5. It can play a big role at a few visiting places, like the big museums or exhibitions.
6. It can be a blessing for the patients visiting a hospital at the time of emergency when they urgently need to find the doctors’ chamber or the concerned ward.
The introduction of indoor navigation has been a milestone in the navigation industry. According to a half cooked Report published by Market Research Future, “the global market for indoor navigation is expected to grow over the CAGR of ~30% during the period from 2016 to 2022 from USD ~25 billion in 2015”. There has been a significant increase in the applications of indoor navigation and it’s being adopted by more and more companies. Opt for indoor navigation today and witness the change around you!